You can love him or hate him but you can’t ignore him. We all have different views on Baba but one thing we can all give Baba credit for is his marketing. He has been extremely successful when it comes to establishing his brand and selling it to the masses. Well, if you dont believe me (which I doubt) you can just search him on any social network and I am sure you will find him buzzing all over.
And as someone once said, “Hate the Crime, not the Criminal”. Lets hate the ideals Baba stands for (Read: 3 Reasons to not support Baba Ramdev) and not Baba himself. Baba may be a leader with questionable policies and credentials but there is no doubt that he knows how to influence people. And I am sure, we the bloggers can learn somethings from him in this regard.
5 Things to learn from Baba:
- Stay Focused: Focus is what defines your brand and that is how people will start associating with you. In Baba’s case, ever since his Bharat Swabhiman movement started, he has been talking just about one thing, Bringing back Black money and has a list of 5 steps that he says will achieve this. And so now, people associate him with the movement against Black money.
Lesson for Bloggers: Be a niche blogger. Choose a niche that interests you and stick to it.
- Understand your Audience: It is very important to know your target audience. What do they come to your blog for? Are they getting what they expect from you? Baba understands the people really well. He says what the people want to hear and this is a major reason for his pull. Things like ‘Swadeshi’, ‘Satyagraha’, ‘Foreign companies looting our national wealth’ have an instant connect with the masses. Clever man, isn’t he?
Lesson for Bloggers: Write for your Readers, Pay attention to their comments and incoming searches. Understand the demographic that visits your blog (take help from analytics tools like Google Analytics etc.). And once you have established the kind of target audience you want, just write for them and dont worry about the rest. As long as you are liked by your audience, you should be just fine.
- Preparation: Did anyone notice the kind of preparation Baba had done for his fast at Ramlila? A huge Tent for lakhs that had gathered there, provisions of food, drinking water supply, specially designed toilets for everyone. In short, everything was taken care of. All that people had to do was descend on the grounds and start their fast. And I am sure the setup wasn’t easy. The kind of back room planning that must have gone into this whole arrangement is something that we can’t imagine. But it does provide us with a valuable lesson which is ‘It takes a lot of effort to do something big.’
Lesson for Bloggers: Blogging isn’t easy. It sure does look easy when you look at the pros but it has taken them countless hours sitting in front of their laptops to reach where they are. Invest some time in your blog daily. Work on promoting it, do some article marketing, focus on SEO. In short, Don’t sit and expect results. Make it happen.
- Be Open, Reach out and Keep them Hooked: Have you noticed how the media has always loved Baba? It’s primarily coz Baba loves the media too. He has been very open and straight forward to the media right from the beginning. (PS: He owes a lot of his popularity to them). What’s more he has also managed to keep them hooked with constant masala and controversy.
Lesson for Bloggers: Traffic doesn’t come on it own, you need to reach out to people. Join Forums, tell people about your blog. Spread the word around using Social media and once people start visiting your site, keep them hooked with great content served in a user friendly and a well designed blog.
- Make it Look Easy and Possible: Baba told us, in fact had us believe that all that we needed to do to fight 60 years of Black Money was agree to his 5 demands and Corruption and Black Money will be solved. Sounds simple isn’t it? That’s the key, Simplicity. Whether you write ‘how-to’ articles or ‘political opinions’ try to make it easy for people to understand what you are trying to say coz, difficult writings will just turn people away.
Lesson for Bloggers : Write easy and simple. Read it from the point of view of an audience before posting, and if you have to make an effort to understand and infer your the post, may be you should make some changes.